Wednesday 20 May 2015

What About Hava Nagila?

I heard the melody often as a child, in periods.

I recall the first phrase of text, which is repeated three times over. But I have not learned Hebrew, I do not know exactly what it stands for without looking up.

Now, I did look up.

I thought "hava" might be the same word as the Latin version "ave(te)" and the words of the translation seem close enough to Greek χαιρε(τε).

But was the Balfour declaration a good thing? Nevertheless, the British victory may have been a good thing.*

Under one recording of the song, I found a reminder about Palestinians. And I was also reminded of Our Lady's words at Fatima - not to rejoice in public. Russia is not yet consecrated to her immaculate heart by all the bishops of the world in union with Pope Michael.

Wiki : Hava Nagila
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hava_Nagila


When I went away, I did not do so with a curse, nor with a blessing in my heart, but with a "wait a minute, I have to check".

Mother told me to check things before I went enthusiastic about them.

Hans Georg Lundahl
Nanterre UL
St Bernardine of Siena
20-V-2015

PS: Note, my mother was and is a Christian, and back then the kind of Christian Protestant who was a bit carefree about Judaism. I am not that, though I am a Christian too./HGL

* THE NEW JERUSALEM : by G. K. CHESTERTON
CHAPTER XI : THE MEANING OF THE CRUSADE
http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/books/GKC_New_Jerusalem.html#b1


See also: Mormonism : by G K Chesterton
from Uses of Diversity 1921
http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/books/Mormonism.html


PS 2, aus der Wikipädie: Es ist ein Lied der Feier, sehr beliebt im Judentum und in Roma-Gemeinden.

Well, if Gipsies use it, it should be OK./HGL

No comments:

Post a Comment