Friday, 24 July 2026

This is not to exonerate Wojtyla, but ...


... on one item, it seems I was too dissatisfied with his lack of precise scholastic language, which is also not that of Dei Filius.

I spoke of "faith and reason is like saying blonde and hair" ... blonde being a certain quality of hair and faith being a certain quality of reason.

OK, I seem to have to eat my words:

Verum etsi fides sit supra rationem, nulla tamen umquam inter fidem et rationem vera dissensio esse potest: cum idem Deus, qui mysteria revelat et fidem infundit, animo humano rationis lumen indiderit; Deus autem negare seipsum non possit, nec verum vero umquam contradicere.*


Nope, speaking of faith and reason as two distinct things is not a modernist confusion. The usage already exists in clergy above any possible reproach of heresy.

One can still ask whether the simile of "two wings" is well chosen insofar as it might imply equality, but the simple fact of distinguishing like two quasi separate items is not per se reproachable./HGL

* https://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/i-vatican-council/documents/vat-i_const_18700424_dei-filius_la.html

No comments:

Post a Comment