Monday 11 February 2019

As Ricky Gervais Gave a Proust Questionnaire


I copy the questions, not his answers:

What is your idea of perfect happiness?

Reading a good book at a place in the country I no longer possess.

What is your favorite journey?

Two most favourite journeys : with ma to US, and walking to Santiago.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?

Punctuality. (If you say "responsibility" that's not even the name of a virtue, though facing one's responsibilities often is one)

On what occasion do you lie?

I try not to. So, when exaggerating a thing when I write, before saying "wait a minute, I said something wrong" and correcting it. Or when talking to someone, sometimes the talk is too hasty for me to correct.

What do you dislike most about your appearance?

With mouth closed and teeth hidden, right now it would be the dread.

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?

Parentheses when revising a phrase.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?

Coming up with answers that are detailed and thought out to:

  • distant starlight problem
  • geological column
  • radiocarbon dating of old objects "older than Biblical chronology" and the details (perhaps with a small correction here and there) turn out to make sense in other contexts too.


Oh, also shooting at a police man in self defense against psychiatry, while not killing or even seriously injuring him, but that was more God's grace than own achievement. (Btw, I have already served the sentence, and didn't have to give my word to get out "on parole" after 2/3).

Walking to Santiago from Pamplona (mostly) or hitchiking to Irún (nearly) was more of ma's achievement than mine, she taught me how to walk.

What is your greatest regret?

Need a coffee before answering that one. Btw, I think I answered it below, born wrong century.

What is your current state of mind?

Need a coffee. I mean it.

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

I was born 1968, why not 1368?

Where would you like to live?

Eternally in heaven. While waiting, safe from shrinks and close to those I love.

What is your most marked characteristic?

Better beard than teeth?

What do you most value in your friends?

Seeming to enjoy me or enjoy my comments.

Who are your favorite writers?

Tolkien, CSL.

Who is your favorite hero of fiction?

Lucy Pevensie, Jill Pole.

How would you like to die?

In the grace of God and not too icky or painful.

What is your motto?

Festina l e n t e r ... other regret, not living up to that one lately. Oh, wait, of course : not having prayed the Rosary for so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment