Thursday 7 February 2019

Toledo III or I?


Here is a very often heard historiography by Orthodox:

Thus when the ancient council at Constantinople in A.D. 381, during the course of its conclave, reaffirmed the Creed of Nicea (A.D. 325), it expanded that Creed to proclaim these familiar words:

“And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Life-Giver, who proceeds from the Father, who is worshiped and glorified together with the Father and the Son . . . “


But two hundred years later, at a local council in Toledo; Spain (A.D. 589), King Reccared declared that

“the Holy Spirit also should be confessed by us and taught to proceed from the Father and the Son”.


The King may have meant well, but he was contradicting the apostolic teaching about the Holy Spirit. Unfortunately the local Spanish council agreed with his error.


False to say that he contradicted Apostolic teaching, since:

  • Greek and Latin present/traditional texts of I Constantinople differ
  • original text of it is lost
  • filioque was confessed 19 years after I Constantinople in I Toledo, which is before the arrival of the Visigoths.


Filioque far older than III Council of Toledo
https://trentophilaret.blogspot.com/p/filioque-far-older-than-iii-council-of.html


My post has Latin and Spanish texts of the Toletan anti-Priscillianist Creed with my own English translation, here is a link lacking my English, with only Latin and Spanish:

Concilio de Toledo I año 397-400
http://www.filosofia.org/cod/c0397t01.htm


And here is the post I started quoting:

Finding The New Testament Church
By Fr. Jon E. Braun
https://journeytoorthodoxy.com/orthodox-faith/finding-the-new-testament-church/


It expresses an error about the history of filioque./HGL

No comments:

Post a Comment