Friday 17 July 2020

While I Disagree with Chomsky on Some ...


... and some more, he has just reaffirmed my gratitude for two pôints we do share:

  • human language has a unique place in the animal kingdom by a) double articulation with frequent non-iconicity, b) recursivity, c) negatives, pasts, futures, far offs, and other non-present topics expressed in the present;
  • open debate is threatened, and he stands up for it.


I am thankful for his standing up for free speech on holocaust debates, and I am also thankful for his more recent opposition to a more recent attack, the cancel culture.

NYT : A Debate About Open Debate
By Spencer Bokat-Lindell | July 16, 2020
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/opinion/cancel-culture-harpers.html


And while I disagree heartily with Rowling on what's good education for post-pubertal school pupils, more than about magic as scenery, I am thankful she signed too.

153 signatories, overall, that's the Ave Marias in a rosary.

Thank you!

Btw, didn't Chomsky say a good thing or two about Palestine or at least Palestinians, too?

Hans Georg Lundahl
Paris
St. Generous of Tivoli, Martyr*
17.VII.2020

* [Memoria agitur] Tibure sancti Generosi Martyris - I gave a straight translation!

No comments:

Post a Comment