Friday 4 October 2019

What kind of editing would I allow in a republication?


I was just looking at the editing standards of Canadian editors.

Professional Editorial Standards: E. Standards for Proofreading
https://www.editors.ca/node/11802


Well, as a paper republication would be a republication, limited such.

On Structural Editing, full liberty basically is given outside each essay, between them. Essay collections can be organised very differently, and this applies to collections of my essays too. Exceptions to the full liberty would be if they form a novel (taking as example my fan fiction on Susan Pevensie, where I'd want chapters to appear in the order I put them* - which is not the order I write them but follows the imagined action - once, of course, the empty spots have been filled in, and obviously ideally with the consent of copy right holders to original works by C. S. Lewis, Enid Blyton and J. R. R. Tolkien, while that of Chesterton and Doyle is already in public domain) or a closely linked monography.

However, a book might conceivable consist of more than one such. Or a monography of essays may be less closely linked. Or an essay may be taken out of the monographic context and put along with other essays similar or dissimilar.

In the case of comments added under a post, some freedom is given to indicate their separate identity other than just by adding them below the signature (unless you think this belongs to following one).

These two have very divergent material added as comments:

HGL's F.B. writings : Creationism and Geocentrism are sometimes used as metaphors for "outdated because disproven inexact science"
http://hglsfbwritings.blogspot.com/2011/04/cagasuamfobdis.html


somewhere else : What a blooper, Dan Barker from Atheist League!
https://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-blooper-dan-barker-from-atheist.html


In the case of older essays and monographies, it may be a good idea to contact me to ask if I have changed my mind on anything (usually not necessary) or have something important to add (may mean reference to a newer material).

On Stylistic Editing - none. I have done my stylistic editing with each essay I wrote and published on my blogs. People who are allergic to my language use, yes they exist, but let them be allergic.

If I ever did a really bad word choice (rare, but can happen), add a footnote with the comment on it being a mistake, but first make sure with me it actually was one. (A real case example : I may be found guilty of saying "editors" instead of "publishers", somewhere, since influenced by the French around me).

On Copy Editing - correction of obvious and unexploited spelling mistakes, within the consistency of British spelling for English, and also how URL's are presented, I'd gladly see URL's presented both in full and in a version with shortened ones (I regret to say I had given very good short ones in the URL burner ppt.li when it went down) and comments on when a link I linked to and probably quoted and commented on has become a dead link.

Speaking of URL's, full URL (with or without abbreviated version next to it or under it) to each essay / blog post could be given either under the title in the sequence of text, or with the title in an index to the pages where the text appears. It should be given at least once, but where is editors' liberty, though I have a preference for the index solution.

As to Proofreading, the editor retains normal procedure. In French one may have to pay attention to é vs e in pre-tonic (nearly all non-final) syllables. While I hear the difference when paying attention, I have some difficulty in getting it right, since Swedish and German post-tonic ones can have either the mid high front vowel or the central vowel spelled e.

My offer to republish** stands both for publishers adhering to the kind of editorial standards linked to (when not pushing the standards beyond the limits I give as to their freedoms, see above), and publishers defending complete authorial liberty (even if not self publisher companies), and amateur publishers of fanzine level publications who may even ignore them.

Did I mention anyone is free to print, sew and sell my essays or any reasonable collection of them (by theme or contrarywise on all different themes)?


Anyone means anyone.

Hans Georg Lundahl
Val d'Europe
St. Francis of Assisis
4.X.2019

PS. With full liberty around the blog posts, no liberty within each, as to structural editing./HGL

* When I have asked beta readers or curious strangers to read it, while it was growing (it now is on a still stand, and not it's not due to any jumbles in the structure), I could check stats : did blog posts on the blog appear to be read in the correct reading order, and the answer was generally no. This means anyone who thinks it is structurally a mess is likely to have looked on chronology of writing, like first written or last written, as opposed to the indicated reading order.

** hglwrites : A little note on further use conditions
https://hglwrites.wordpress.com/a-little-note-on-further-use-conditions/


The text contains the Gallicism "editor" for "publisher".

No comments:

Post a Comment