Saturday 3 February 2024

Being Outspoken is a Virtue in a Writer


Assorted retorts from yahoo boards and elsewhere: Rothbart and Mises Have Some Things to Say on School, But Less So on Economics · New blog on the kid: Kimberley Josephson Tried to Defend Mergers and Acquisitions · Being Outspoken is a Virtue in a Writer

It's on many companies, not saying all, a liability in an employee.

The first time around I tried to create this article, I saw 3 consecutive figure 6 in the post number (which you would be seing* when commenting). So, maybe God may be warning me, or you, or both, the subject has to do with the final Beast.

I can't read all of the article I link to, but maybe you can:

Independent Premium : Be afraid: your Big Brother boss IS watching you, your phone, your computer – and even your chair
https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/employee-monitoring-rights-office-surveillance-cctv-b2487418.html


As a City firm reveals it monitors staff attendance via data from swipecards at turnstiles, Charles Arthur looks (over his shoulder) at the growth of worker surveillance – and how even WFH keyboard strokes can give you away.


This is about as much as I can read of the article, next major text I see is:

Some staff at the accountancy firm EY will have had an uncomfortable couple of days this week – especially if they weren’t in the office. Some of the senior partners are reportedly looking at data from the entry turnstiles, where employees have to swipe a card to gain entry, to monitor attendance at the UK offices.


and then this:

SUBSCRIBE TO CONTINUE READING


Perhaps I was wrong, perhaps it was more about worker attendance. I would either way be better off not placing my bets on a livelihood on this.

I am a writer, which means I need to be outspoken. Changing habits to suit a company would hamper me in communicating with my readers** and contributing to the debate I want to contribute to.

I have irregular hours, and adapting to office hours would end up in lost sleep and getting too late to work and getting fired. As one engaged in writing, this is not a liability. Any editor is concerned with my texts, possibly for a longterm partnership with my overall output, and not with regular attendance at certain hours. The cybers and libraries do not refuse access to computers if one doesn't show up within one specific quarter hour in the morning and stay until one specific quarter hour in the after noon. So, this habit too is no liability for me as a writer.

Some people may pretend that I'd be better off ditching my plans to live as a writer and "come to terms with reality" that I need to adapt to office hours. I don't think that would be entering reality, I think that would be entering someone else's less informed day dream about me, as opposed to living my dream.

  • I do not think 11 000 plus posts, a daily output which may reach 3000, sometimes 4000 words a day, an intense attention to formatting (though I'm behind on reformatting old posts from 10 years ago, which look different now than back then, which need reformatting) and a horror of the idea of using a cell phone instead of a computer as writing tool shows either inadequate quantity nor inadequate quality (at least on the material side, though it may look so to people who look up very old posts or whose ideas on decent layout are all newspaper based, and they have no idea on how a blog looks).
  • I do not think that 5 000 000 + page views or answer views on my present blogger account and two quora accounts suggests any inability to interest people (touching on the more immaterial side of my quality).
  • I do however see a certain interest in big employers to have more employees with lower expectations on freedoms.
  • I do also see how people who totally disagree on basically all I say would be interested in demoting me to the debate, either to an office work or ...
  • ... some people in professions close to psychiatry would even want to get me perpetually handicapped*** and under the sway of their power. While they don't get paid for each case, they have their office hours, they can be more numerous, be more to receive the pay, if more things count as "conditions to treat" or "criteria for diagnoses" ... and I can see how some of my traits would fit into that margin, which I would obviously want them out of work about.


Hans Georg Lundahl
Paris
St. Blasius
3.II.2024

PS, while I disagree with Jordan Peterson on lots, I think this affair shows his enemies in the wrong, and illustrates my point:

1:04 — 1:19
I'M OBLIGED TO UNDERTAKE THAT TRAINING AT MY OWN EXPENSE FOR INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME UNTIL THEY PRESUME WHATEVER IT IS I'M SUPPOSED TO LEARN, WHICH GIVEN MY NATURE STRIKES ME AS HIGHLY UNLIKELY.


Dr. Jordan Peterson: I've been sentenced to re-education and I'll fight back
Fox News | 26 Jan. 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKh0A2GFFMk


* For instance, in the adress bar, when reading a certain post by Father Hunwicke, I see this:
http://liturgicalnotes.blogspot.com/2024/02/tria-mysteria.html
but when clicking on "Post a Comment" I see this:
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8940364093450837549&postID=1002446631606916207

** By "my readers" I don't necessarily mean the guys who are reading me right now, I mean the kind of readers who enjoy reading me online, and who would pay to buy a booklet or book with texts of mine collected in a systematic or erratic way, which they could read even outside computer connexions. If any of the people presently reading me, the last year, had coincided with this, by the sheer mass of them, some would have also coincided with people able and willing to get my texts into print.

*** At least on the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment