Wednesday 14 February 2024

Dear J. K. Rowling


I have not read your very famous book series for two reasons:

  • I was warned by a Roman Catholic theologian that they were bad (it could have been Bishop Williamson, it was anyway in Mitteilungsblatt der Priesterbruderschaft St. Pius X, and the guy was worried some of your descriptions of spells were a bit too instructive*) plus they were basically lauded for lying;
  • I have been to a boarding school.**


I am at least very grateful that you refuse to lie about sex and gender.

As an internet producer, I have not entirely avoided all pop culture, including your books. It seems you have at least some valid points to make on bullying in schools. And, more lately on a platform back then known as Twitter, a few valid points, in the vein of Maria von Trapp, née Kutschera, on the Kansas City Charismatic Conference of 1977.

"Always remember this : a man is a man and a woman is a woman."


My mother loved to quote her. My own memories of it includethe football stadium and the orange drink (sweeter than Fanta, at least as it's usually served in Europe).

If your cast feels like an attack from an unexpected quarter, here is support from what might be that too./HGL

PS, it's for you and your stance, not for the Kirk of Scotland, obviously./HGL

* When defending LotR on this account, I remind my readers the "pedo mellon a minno" scene basically involves getting the combination on a digital door lock correct.
** I have also not been able to reread the boarding school series set in Austria, humourous as it was. I had two books, really lovely comedy, b u t I enjoyed it more before going to a boarding school.

No comments:

Post a Comment