Wednesday 14 August 2024

I Recall Christiania in 2004


March. Late March.

Police stepped in, Pusher Street was raided (not while I was in there). I could go to a bar where alcohol was served, but nothing like Pusher Street.

Can't say I totally missed Pusher Street. Hash is not my thing.

But seing Christiania patrolled by policemen in threes, that was a bit eery.

During the Olympics, Paris had lots of police protection. Perhaps understandable.

But the Olympics were over last Sunday, and it's Tuesday evening.*

And the police kind of haven't left.

Now, there is an upcoming Paralympics event as well. They will be 28th August to 8 September. But, the policeman I just talked to didn't evoke them.

He said it was "normal" (the French word carries connotations of "nothing out of the way") that they were left, since Paris had many tourists.

Are the Olympics an excuse to occupy Paris like one occupied Christiania in 2004?

I don't really know. But I'm getting worried. Unlike what he said, this is not how I recall police simply for tourism past years, it's more like I recall police for protest rallies.

Hans Georg Lundahl
Paris
Wednesday*, Vigil of the Assumption
14.VIII.2024

Vigilia Assumptionis beatae Mariae Virginis.

* It turned past midnight while I wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment