Wednesday 17 May 2023

Some People Think, I Admire Influential People


While CSL and JRRT are in fact so, more so now than when I was very young, I came to admire them because they were clearheaded, and where I was, I regretted they weren't more influential, if anything.

I have converted to Catholicism from Lutheranism, in 1988, a few months before my 20th birthday.

I had no doubt whatsoever that Luther was influential, through his adherents in Lubeck and his disciples the Petri brothers, he was very much too influential in Sweden. I was trying to get rid of his influence by converting. I was also trying to get rid of it later by quitting Sweden. And no, I am very well aware that Luther was not a Puritan, what I was leaving was very much what active Lutherans mean by being Lutheran, not what a "folkhemshedning" (popular national community type of Pagan) would mean by not being Lutheran.

I am annoyed when on Quora I get questions like "why was Luther influential?" a few days ago, or - seen today - "Who was more influential, Martin Luther or John Calvin?"

It implies I am trying to align myself with or model myself on influential people. This is not the case, except insofar that CSL and JRRT came to be more influential than I had hoped for.

Or, it could also imply that I should be trying to align myself with or model myself on influential people. This is also not so, I am a Christian, and the Bible calls that "loving the world" .../HGL

CSL = Clive Staples Lewis
JRRT = John Ronald Reuel Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment