- Is there any historical (NOT religious) documentation of the events described in the Bible's New Testament?
- A by
- Hans-Georg Lundahl,
Studied religions as curious parallels and contrasts to Xtian faith since 9, 10?
- A Written Wed
- The requirement “historical” and “not religious” is fairly contradictory.
You can’t get ANY historical documentation of these times which is not somehow or other religious.
But perhaps you meant specifically outside the Christian religion.
If we go to the events of the Gospels, well, not very much documentation, unless you accept, as perhaps you should, the Acts of Pilate as genuine.
Jewish smear campaigns on how Christ did His miracles are smear campaigns, not documentation - but they do document that He did work miracles, as “magic” would not have been an option if he had only been preaching.
As to the events in Acts, in general it is fairly well attested that Christians existed about that time and were targetted by Pagan Rome.
See Tacitus, Suetonius and perhaps a few more.
- After my writing this:
Quora Moderation said:
We recently found some of your content (Hans-Georg Lundahl's answer to Is there any historical (NOT religious) documentation of the events described in the Bible's New Testament?) that violates Quora's Be Nice, Be Respectful policy (See What is Quora's "Be Nice, Be Respectful" policy?).
Please keep this policy in mind when interacting with other people on Quora. If you continue posting content that violates this policy, you may be banned from using Quora. For more information, see: How do I appeal a Quora Moderation decision?.
If you think this is an error on our part, please submit a moderation appeal at https://www.quora.com/contact with a link to your content.
- Dear Quora Moderation
- Yes, I think it is an error on your part.
It is an error not to allow someone who knows about Toledoth Yeshu type Rabbinic literature not to call that Jewish smear campaigns.
And it includes the accusation, at least if you look at the end of Toledoth Yeshu, most probably levelled at Jesus, of Jesus having learned magic in Egypt and gained magic powers by the sacrilege of tattooing the Divine Name on his skin.
Or, if you thhought I was too snarky to a man who had asked, "Is there any historical (NOT religious) documentation of the events described in the Bible's New Testament?" by telling him "the requirement “historical” and “not religious” is fairly contradictory," and "you can’t get ANY historical documentation of these times which is not somehow or other religious," it is an error on your part not to allow for my being aware of facts which make his question rather ludicrous about its formulation.
Especially, since I just after it added a non-snarky and fairly respectful suggestion like "but perhaps you meant specifically outside the Christian religion," after which I proceeded to provide that.
I really and truly think either of these causes of considering my answer as violating the BNBR policy as tantamount to making it a hindrance to freedom of information, a boon to people who don't know and who are politically correct, insofar as they wish not to be corrected by anyone knowing better, and a hindrance to anyone with some knowledge of the historical matters here at hand.
Thank you in advance for responding to my appeal, which will contain this link after a copy of these words.
Hans Georg Lundahl
on the St Victoria, V and M
- Update Christmas Eve
- Answer was uncollapsed, and an excuse offered and accepted.
Merry Christmas, quora!
- One more thing
- If you want to know more about this, check out this series of posts, mostly one one blog, given after, and I am linking to first post in series, links to the rest are included in the post:
The Question of Contemporary Evidence
on the blog:
- Fatima - Bad News and Good News - the latter provi...
- Panthéisme ? Non. Trinité ? Oui.
- Do not support World Childhood Foundation!
- Hans-Georg Gadamer was of the "Frankfurter Schule"...
- A Relevant Quote from J. R. R. Tolkien
- Sur le concept de l'ésotérique et sur les sociétés secrètes
- In Case Someone Thinks I am Preaching ...
- Would Gay Marriage Allow them an Authentic Life?
- Malfaisance de "Sécurité"
- Have I Done Ill Speaking Against the Real Pope a F...
- Drodzy Polacy - i Rosjanie itd.
- Vatican in Exile : Calendar and Marian Anthems
- Code ASCII et James Bond