Thursday 24 January 2019

Questions on the Octateuch Should be Accessible


I have tried a version by scribd, needs a bank card, which I have not, even needs a bank card for the 30 days free trial.

I tried this url, and saw a 403, access forbidden:



I can sympathise with the fact that John F. Petruccione and Robert C. Hill have made an effort which needs compensation, and that this happened so recently that their efforts are not yet in public domain, if true (Robert C. Hill's translation is from 1931 and he seems then to NOT be the Robert C. Hill diplomat who died in 1978, since that one was born in 1917, I doubt a translation by a 14 year old boy would be the standard text for the English translation).

But at the same time, there are probably older editions and the author himself died so long ago that he cannot claim copyright.

Also, the heirs of Robert C. Hill (if any beyond Barnes and Noble) are probably not going to starve just because his text is made accessible in a free online version. People still do buy paper versions of books, it is nice to read a book with paper pages to turn.

Meanwhile, I am investigating the patristic side of exegesis on Genesis 10:5, already checked St Augustine (who didn't contradict my hunch in City of God Book 16, as far as I could see) and would now like to check with Theodoret and his Questions on the Octateuch.

Unless the library I am in has it in paper, no, it hasn't, just checked their catalogue, therefore this checking is fried as long as all online full text versions of Questions on the Octateuch are blocked by needing to sign up to scribd. Which, lacking a bank card, I cannot.

Copyright is being abused to block access to things which should be accessible. Google books also has a preview omitting the actual text.

And obviously, Barnes and Noble are not going bankrupt because it is rendered accessible.

Hans Georg Lundahl
Nanterre UL
St. Timothy of Ephesus
24.I.2019

No comments:

Post a Comment