Friday 18 March 2022

СЛАВА УКРАЇНІ! SLAVA UKRAINI! GLORY TO UKRAINE!


National Anthem of Ukraine
3rd March 2022 | Sofia Shkidchenko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRLT_HZDf84


I have been asked if I am Ukrainian. I do not have the honour to be that.

I am a Swede. We were beaten together with Mazepa at Poltava in July 8th 1709 (Gregorian calendar, not used by any of the belligerents).

I am also Viennese. In 1683, Vienna was defended from a Turkish invasion by Eugene of Savoy and John III Sobieski of Poland. Now, he was technically king of the double monarchy Kingdom of Poland and Grand Duchy of Lithuania. The Grand Duchy involved three nations : Lithuanians, Bielorussians and Ukrainians.

I tried to learn Polish and Lithuanian back in 2003, partly of gratitude. Ukrainian unfortunately was not given at former Slavic, now East European, Institute of the University of Lund. Both Polish and Ukrainian also have a connexion to some of the first Catholics I met when converting./HGL

No comments:

Post a Comment